Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Style Across the Nation

If someone from out of the country were to ask me what all Americans wear, the only thing I could really say would be jeans. There are so many different styles and trends available to Americans that everyone has different tastes. Even people in the same regions have different interpretations of what they think is fashionable. Most people however, do tend to veer towards the same wardrobe choices. I am here to show you what most people in the Northeast, South, and Western regions typically wear. 


Leighton Meester on the set of Gossip Girl in the Upper-East Side
NORTHEAST  
New York City is considered one of the top fashion capitals of the world. Not only is it home to major fashion labels, such as Oscar de la Renta and Calvin Klein, but the industry also exceeds $14 billion dollars in annual sales. The Big Apple is known for its trendsetting ways and is always at least 5 steps ahead of the rest of America. It is home to Mercedes-Benz fashion week, as well as being the originator of the "urban" style. Even if you don't realize it, everyone has a little New York style in their wardrobe. I haven't been there myself, but I always imagine myself walking down 5th Avenue in my 5-inch stiletto's, a Starbucks in one hand and a Chanel shopping bag in the other. A girl can always dream. New York = High Fashion!

Local Honey customers featured on their blog
SOUTH
Nashville may be home to endless amounts of country singers and indie bands, but I feel as though fashion is becoming more and more significant. Since I live near Nashville, I have experienced the essence of it and it's fantastic. The greatest thing about Nashville is that there are so many stores to choose from and you don't even have to go to a mall. This past summer I read an article about the best vintage shops in the Nashville area and I decided to venture out and find all of them. My favorite was a little shop on Belmont Boulevard called Local Honey. It was a mixture of vintage pieces and clothes designed by locals and the stores own employees. They also hold fashion shows and advertise new bands/artists in the Nashville area. It was the epitome of Nashville fashion because it factored in the music scene and kind of proved to me that Tennessee isn't all about cowboy boots and tight jeans. I feel like you can find so many different things in these stores instead of getting the same ol' same ol'. 

Vanessa Hudgens on the streets of California
WEST
It is no surprise that California would be on this list. It is home to Hollywood, where famous people reside, San Francisco, where people push limits, and Laguna beach, where Lauren Conrad is from (I just love her style!) Cali is also known for its shopping on Rodeo Drive and I'm sure every girl has dreamed of spending their whole life savings at every store they have. California is all about beachy vibes because it is warm there all year round. Tank tops and cutoff shorts are staples of California civilians. No matter what era you lived in. These people have more laid-back attitudes, therefore their style comes across that way as well. I look at pictures and see people on T.V. and they just look like they are comfy ALL THE TIME. Yet they still look fabulous. If you want to look like a Californian, all you have to do is throw on some flip flops, carry a surf board around, and talk like Spicoli.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_capital
http://www.localhoneynashville.blogspot.com/

No comments: